Friday, November 01, 2019

A Soldier's Story by General of the Army Omar Bradley


World War II as Experienced by General Omar Bradley


A Soldier's Story by General of the Army Omar Bradley is the story of World War II as General Omar Bradley saw it. It is also the primary sourcebook for the movie Patton. Bradley's unassuming and straightforward style underscores how he is portrayed by contemporary accounts. 

G.I. General


General Bradley was known as the "G.I. General". In the book, he comes across as an island of equanimity in a sea of incredible egos like Patton, Montgomery et. al.

Book Has an Aura of Authenticity


Remember, this book is Bradley's take on events. I am sure that some involved in controversies he covered would defend their actions or inactions. Yet this account has an aura of authenticity due to the author's lack of need to tout his own accomplishments. This inner peacefulness, along with command ability, probably explains Bradley's rise to the level of senior American ground commander in Europe. He even comments about working calculus problems for relaxation!

Written in 1951


Written in 1951, this book is superb. It gives insider's account of the American effort and strategic management in the European Theater of Operations. It is well written, clear and largely devoid of the bombast that can weigh down some combat and command accounts. Although a big book, it reads quickly.

The book was later used as a primary sourcebook for the movie Patton along with Patton: Ordeal and Triumph by Ladislas Farago.

A Personal Note


One of the highlights of my life was getting to interview Omar Bradley for a boy scout merit badge I was working on in 1964. He was living in a house on the William Beaumont Hospital grounds at Fort Bliss, Texas. My dad was stationed in El Paso at the time. The general was very kind to a kid interviewing him. I remember my dad getting exasperated when I told him I need a ride to do an interview for my God and Country merit badge. I told him I had called and set up an appointment with an old retired soldier though the boy scout council HQ. When he asked who and I said Omar Bradley my dad about passed out. He had served under Bradley in World War II. I remember his kindness and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Airborne: A Combat History of American Airborne Forces by LTG (Retired) E. M. Flanagan Jr.

Airborne Airborne: A Combat History of American Airborne Forces by LTG (Retired) E. M. Flanagan Jr. Allow me to state my prejudices...